Health Care Reform
Whether you have supported or opposed health care reform, we know that you most likely have a lot of questions about how it will affect your benefits and what is required to comply with the law. We have been keeping on top of the provisions that will affect your benefits program and will continue to provide the necessary guidance to maintain compliance. Below are some useful resources and references:
The files below may be opened in the freely available Acrobat Reader.
- Future of Certain ACA Taxes and Fees (pdf)
While the future of the ACA as a whole is currently unclear, some definitive changes have been made to some ACA taxes and fees for 2017. This provides an overview of those changes and their impact on employers.
- House Committees Release ACA Replacement Bills (pdf)
On March 6, 2017, Republican leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives issued two bills, collectively known as the American Health Care Act, to repeal and replace the ACA. This ACA Compliance Bulletin provides an overview of the new legislation.
- Trump Signs Executive Order on the ACA (pdf)
On Jan. 20, 2017, President Donald Trump signed an executive order addressing the Affordable Care Act (ACA), as his first act as president. The order states that it is intended to "to minimize the unwarranted economic and regulatory burdens" of the ACA until the law can be repealed and eventually replaced.
- Post Election ACA Round-Up (pdf)
If you were unable to attend our client webinar on Nov. 17, 2016, attached is the presentation outlining an update on ACA and potential changes due to the recent election, or you can select this link and register to view the replay of the webinar.
- 2016 Furnishing Deadline for ACA Reporting Delayed (pdf)
On Nov. 18, 2016, the IRS issued Notice 2016-70, which extended the 2016 deadline for furnishing statements to individuals under Sections 6055 and 6056. Notice 2016-70 also extended good-faith relief from penalties for 2016 reporting. However, the notice does not extend the due date for filing forms with the IRS for 2016. This ACA Bulletin outlines the new due date and additional guidance in this notice.
- 2016 Survey Results: Affordable Care Act (pdf)
These are the results of the 2016 Affordable Care Act Survey. Conducted in early 2016, the survey gauged how employers around the country are reacting to ACA reforms and regulations.
- Employer Shared Responsibility Provision (ESRP) Estimator
The Taxpayer Advocate Service developed the ESRP Estimator to help employers understand how the provision works and learn how the provision may apply to them. This tool helps determine whether an employer is an Applicable Large Employer and estimate the maximum amount of potential liability for the employer shared responsibility payment that could apply.
- 2016 Federal Budget Delays ACA's Cadillac Tax & Suspends Two Other Taxes (pdf)
On Dec. 18, 2015, President Obama signed a federal budget bill for 2016 into law, which delays the Cadillac tax for two years, and temporarily suspends collection of the health insurance providers fee and the medical devices tax.
- Pay or Play Penalty - Transition Relief Provisions (pdf)
Transition relief provides certain employers with additional time to comply with the ACA's employer shared responsibility provisions, or provide relief from penalties altogether. This Legislative Brief provides a high-level overview of the transition relief available under the employer shared responsibility provisions.
- 2016 Compliance Checklist (pdf)
Although many key reforms under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) became effective in 2014 and 2015, additional reforms will become effective in 2016. To prepare, employers should review upcoming requirements and develop a compliance strategy.
- 2016 Employer Reporting (6055/6056) Flowchart (pdf)
This flowchart illustrates the employer reporting requirements under PPACA for applicable large employers.
- 2016 Employer Mandate - Pay or Play Flowchart (pdf)
This flowchart illustrates the what could trigger an applicable large employer receiving a penalty for non-compliance with the Employer Mandate.
- Are You an Applicable Large Employer (pdf)
- The IRS issued this publication (Publication 5208) on March 10, 2015, to help employers determine whether they are considered applicable large employers under the ACA's employer shared responsibility provisions. Also, they provide a fact sheet on their webite.
- Identifying Full-Time Employees: The Monthly Measurement Method (pdf)
Under the ACA, applicable large employers may be subject to a penalty if they do not offer health coverage to their full-time employees. This Legislative Brief provides an overview of the monthly measurement method for identifying full-time employees.